Starting your own firm is a challenge. Structuring it to survive is a formidable task.
While operating a professional practice poses many risks to the design professional, considering insurance to manage those risks is just one of many important considerations. The AIA Trust develops and gathers helpful resources, tools, and benefit programs to guide you in assessing, avoiding, and managing your risks — now and into the future. Find out how to get started and run your own successful firm.
FOR YOUR FIRM & EMPLOYEES:
- Business Owners Insurance including General/Commercial Liability and Property & Casualty. (You may add coverage for: Workers Comp, Umbrella, Employment Practices Insurance, Valuable Documents)
- Professional Liability Insurance
- HR Outsourcing – PEO Plan – people resource management for your firm
- Disability Insurance Employee Coverage—consider adding an important employee benefit
- Health Insurance Exchange, with Dental and Vision Options, for small groups or individual employees
- Key Person Term Life Insurance
- Life Insurance/Term Life Insurance Employee Coverage
- Legal Information Service for your firm—a “practice coach” – when you don’t have in-house counsel
- Retirement Plans, including a variety of 401(k) and Profit-sharing plans, for you and your employees
- Short Term Disability Insurance Employee Coverage – for individual coverage, including maternity
FOR YOU & YOUR FAMILY:
- Accident (AD&D)—High Level Accident Insurance—Protect yourself & your family
- Automobile Insurance—For your peace of mind on the road—with potential savings
- Disability Insurance Personal Coverage—Important for every situation – be sure you are covered for the ‘what if’s’ of life.
- Health Insurance Exchange, with Dental and Vision Options—For you & your family, now & in the future
- Homeowners, Renters and Home Office Insurance—For your peace of mind at home
- Life Insurance/Level Term Life Plans—Especially important if you’ve student loans, are married, or have a child
- Travel Assistance–Special member pricing on global emergency services wherever you travel.
Free Risk Management Resources
- Brokers—A Guide to Selecting Professional Liability Insurance & A Broker
- Creating & Maintaining A Professional Practice—A webinar & booklet about how to start and run a successful architectural practice—plus obtain two HSW learning unit credits.
- Education Programs: An expanding array of topics to help you manage your firm effectively — including webinars, self-assessment tests (SATs), and Schinnerer VEP education program.
- Financial Planning —Online tools and guides to learn about starting a business, managing finances,valuable retirement program considerations and employee benefit retirement plans.
- Firm & Employee Coverage – Find out what you need to know about various insurance coverage, including employee benefits.
- Healthcare Coverage—Answer your questions about how the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) affects you and your firm.
- Library of Risk Management Resources – Find invaluable free resources by topic for your practice.
- Making the Transition to Running Your Own Firm booklet plus obtain take a self-assessment test for three-credit learning unit credits.
- New Starter Firm Incentives for AIA Members—A webinar offering special incentives to AIA members starting a new firm.
- Practice Forms – Ready-to-use forms and tools to help you & your firm to evaluate and manage potential risk.
- Professional Liability Insurance Decision-Making—Browse & compare 40+ insurers, find specific coverage, data, & contact info.
- Professional Liability Insurance Guides —Guides & Tips on comparing policies, completing an application, how to find a broker, and more.
- Schinnerer Risk Management Strategies—Guidelines for Improving Practice, Management Advisories, contract review tips & Voluntary Education Programs for credit—plus Schinnerer’s risk management blog—guidance from the design & construction industry.
- Small Firms —Click here for a list of helpful resources for small firms and those starting out.
- Sustainability Studies– Better understand the unique challenges and risks of sustainability.
- White Papers – Find out about critical risk topics that you need to know, such as: project documentation, fiduciary duty, electronic data, payment collection, working with BIM, terminating a contractor, and much more — all aimed at helping you manage your firm successfully.