Whether you are planning to hit the highways or cruise the water, the summer has much to offer for your vacation and recreation time. As with any outdoor adventure, there comes a certain amount of risk. Follow these simple precautions to ensure that you and your family stay safe.
On the Water
- Learn safe boating techniques. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, about 70 percent of all boating accidents occur because of operator error. Reduce that risk with “Boat Smart” educational courses from the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary.
- Get your vessel inspected. You can submit a request for a safety inspection at the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary’s Vessel Safety Check website.
- File a “float plan” before launching. This form can be found online and lists all the information the Coast Guard needs for emergency action. It’s not required, but it can be a lifesaver. Make sure you the leave the plan with a friend or family member.
- Wear a life jacket. It may seem obvious, but the Centers for Disease Control note that more than 90% of drowning fatality victims didn’t wear a life jacket.
On Two Wheels
- Be visible. Oftentimes people driving cars just don’t see motorcycles. Put reflective decals on your clothing and bike, keep your headlights on day and night, and avoid riding in drivers’ blind spots.
- Warn vehicles of your presence. Use your horn to alert someone of your presence and flash your brake light when slowing down.
- Wear your helmet—always.All motorcycle helmets are required to meet federal Department of Transportation (DOT) standards and display a DOT sticker. If a helmet doesn’t have this sticker, it doesn’t offer adequate protection.
Liberty Mutual is proud to partner with AIA Trust to provide you with relevant auto and home safety tips for the way you live today. To learn more about Liberty Mutual Auto and Home Insurance or get a free, no-obligation quote, call 1-800-981-2372 or visitlibertymutual.com/enews-aiatrust
Coverage underwritten and provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. ©2014 Liberty Mutual Insurance